The American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine
and Rehabilitation was developed to meet the unique needs of athletic
and working animals and all animals in need of rehabilitation.
Under ACVSMR, there will be two Recognized Veterinary
Specialties, each of which will have its own certificate: Sports Medicine
and Rehabilitation (Canine) and Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation (Equine).
- To establish and maintain credentialing and certification
standards for veterinary practitioners who excel in sports medicine and rehabilitation.
- To identify, develop, foster, and maintain veterinary
sports medicine and rehabilitation specialty credentialing and ethical standards.
- To promote the improvement of scientific professional
practice standards and the advancement of professional knowledge and competency,
by self-assessment and examination to be determined, and to facilitate the
continuing education of veterinary practitioners.
- To identify Diplomates to the public, other professionals,
professional organizations, government agencies and representatives, and
other appropriate individuals and bodies.
- To seek and foster cooperation and contacts with other
organizations that relate to veterinary medicine, and to collaborate in matters
of common interest, including the advancement of high standards and methods
in the art and science of veterinary practice.
- To collaborate with universities and other educational
institutions to encourage and promote the development of graduate veterinary
science programs, with particular emphasis on residency training for clinical